Wednesday, November 3, 2010

PRAYERS TO SURRENDER

In war, I'd have to think one of the worst things that could happen to you other than being wounded or killed, is having to surrender.  In saying that, I'm not so sure most soldiers wouldn't take the wounded part before giving up or giving in.

Surrendering.  Couldn't even imagine that.  It would have to be surreal.  The thought of being totally exposed and naked to someone who has control over you.  Dependent on them for everything that you know in life.  When you eat, what you eat, when you go to the bathroom....just about total control.  Just about.

The wartime surrender is what we think of most when the word surrender is mentioned.  Probably the most ultimate of surrenders. And if you're captured, wouldn't your thoughts be, how soon before I get rescued?

Then days turn into weeks, weeks into months and so on.  Where is the life-line?  Why can't someone save me?  Let's imagine some of the emotions surfacing during confinement.  Let's start with Hope and  optimism because you'd be hopeful, right?  Someone is coming.  Then, uncertainty, pessimism, anger, bitterness and hopelessness.  That might just be the order of the thought process that follows when it appears no one is coming.

There have been prisoners of war that have chronicled their experiences.  The ones that I'm amazed most  with is the ones that talk of the faith journey throughout the ordeal.  They talk about surrendering to God and remaining faithful that they will be saved.  And they hang onto that faithful fact.  Second by second, minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day.  They have to.

In life, we all have ordeals that "capture" us.  We become stuck in the quagmire of everyday life and refuse to surrender.  The "I can do it myself" attitude, most certainly reigns.  That is, until we get taken to our knees and we surrender. 

In recent weeks, I've had the privilege to witness several individuals surrender.  It has been awesome to see the changes taking place in their lives.  Collectively, they've embraced "giving it up" and enabled God to be in control.  A transformation is taking place without a doubt.  This could be you that I'm blogging about today.  At that point in your life where you've just about given up.  Don't.  Don't give in to anyone or anything, except God.  Ask him for understanding of your situation, whatever it is.  Ask him for just a sliver of what he's up to.  He'll show you.  He'll let you in....and you won't be sorry.





Here are my prayers for today.

Prayer #1.  Lord, I ask for your protection so that none of our soldiers has to face capture.  Keep them safe and keep their hearts open to you throughout their deployment.

Prayer #2.  I pray for the children of all deployed soldiers. Enable them to navigate through the day and learn to lean on you for direction.

Prayer #3.  Surrender.  Surrender to God what you don't need anymore and strength to travel the new road ahead.

And.....

"But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord".  I say, "You are my God."  My times are in Your hand..." (Psalm 31:14)

YGG,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment