Thursday, November 11, 2010

A FAMILY JOURNAL: FATHER TO SOLDIER-VOLUME 2

The journal you are about to read is part of an ongoing dialogue.  The words are a conversation between "the family" of the soldier experience.  It's Dads, Moms, Sons,  Daughters,  Relatives and Friends sharing their thoughts of a particular day and/or it could be the soldiers journal entry detailing his or hers.  I believe there are many, many people keeping a journal through the Afghan War.  If you want to share an entry of yours email it to jkmyfathersvoice@gmail.com  Your post will be strictly confidential,  no names will be used.  In addition, locations overseas will not be mentioned for security purposes except the country of origin.  Some editing may be done to further protect the journal participant.


NOVEMBER 11TH, 2010

"Thought I'd tell you that I have alot less hair than I did the last time you saw me.  Mom buzzed my head not once, but twice.  After the first time, I looked like a porcupine....hair sticking out everywhere.  After the second "shave" I look like I'm now ready for Basic.  Hoooooha!  My hair hasn't been this short since I was 17.  My dad always made me get my hair cut short.  I hated that.  Now I can wash my hair and not worry about the drying.  Wow!

Your Mom and I went to hear Charles Larson speak at the Des Moines Public Library.  He wrote a book, "Heroes Among Us".  The book is about 29 exceptional soldiers that displayed heroism.  It was a great talk and question/answer period.  Larson served for a year with the U.S. Army in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom.  He was awarded the Bronze Star.  We bought his book signed for both you and your brother.. We sent it your way.  Hope you enjoy.

Special day today for you, your brother and us.  Veterans Day.  I can't begin to tell you how proud of you we both are providing safety for us and our country.  Do not let anything dissuade you from knowing what your commitment means.

I think of one of your favorite songs. The tune sung by Josh Thompson, "Way Out Here".  I'm mentioning this because I want your mind to take you there.  Listen to the lyrics and see the images.  Let the words be of greater importance to you today than ever before and for hereafter.  Praying for your safety, son.  Praying for you daily......

262 days or 38 weeks to go, however you look at it.



                                                                   -30-

YGG,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment