Friday, November 12, 2010

A FAMILY JOURNAL: MOTHER TO SOLDIER-VOLUME 3

The journal you are about to read is part of an ongoing dialogue.  The words are a conversation between "the family" of the soldier experience.  It's Dads, Moms, Sons,  Daughters,  Relatives and Friends sharing their thoughts of a particular day and/or it could be the soldiers journal entry detailing his or hers.  I believe there are many, many people keeping a journal through the Afghan War.  If you want to share an entry of yours email it to jkmyfathersvoice@gmail.com  Your post will be strictly confidential,  no names will be used.  In addition, locations overseas will not be mentioned for security purposes except the country of origin.  Some editing may be done to further protect the journal participant.




NOVEMBER 12TH, 2010

"I'm sure I speak for all Moms when I say that there is no way that pen and paper can hold what's in her heart.   It's hard to even find a place to start when it comes to trying to put into words what she carries with her every second of every day.  When it comes to our soldiers we walk tall and proud to be their Mom, but we may crumble at any moment.  Our hearts are so full that the slightest movement in there causes it to spill over.

I miss my son like the desert misses rain.  Even to pen that starts my tears.  And with my tears right behind them are my fears.  Our sons and daughters will never be the same after being at War, that is the one thing for sure.  Even they fear how it will change them.  I'm sure their thoughts go to, "what might I have to see for the rest of my life in my mind's eye?"  The thought of how my soldier might be changed when he returns home is too much to bear.......so my advice to myself is, "don't go there, just stay in today". 

Our soldiers try and do the same.  They are there to do their job so every day they get up and go to work.  I'm sure that thought helps to keep the lid on a soul that's full to the brim.  But again, the slightest movement can cause it to spillover.  And what about when they come home?  When their soul could be so filled that there's no way to stop it from pouring out.  How will they numb that pain?

Well, so much for staying in today with my thoughts.....I love you son.  My heart is right there with you every minute of every day.  Time to put the lid back on it and go to work."

                                                         -30-

YGG,

John




No comments:

Post a Comment