Sunday, August 28, 2011

DAY SIX: A WALK IN SILENCE

Today was a frustrating day.  Not only for me, but for those around me.  When I thought about it, it was  surprising that this didn't happen on Day Three or Four.  Maybe it was the culmination of alot of things, I'm not sure.  I do know, though, this day wasn't totally unexpected.

Let me start from the frustrations of those around me.  "It will be nice when you're able to talk again", my wife related.   Had she hit the wall?  Probably.  I'm sure trying to initiate some discussion only to realize it won't go into any depth....is frustrating.  And there are times that she and several others have asked me questions, only to quickly realize they weren't going to hear my voice.   Even a question like, "what time is it?", brought forth a hand point to the clock from me rather than a vocal response. 

Back on Day Four a number of us were in a meeting.  One of the participants started to ask me a question in a rather loud voice.  He must have thought the louder he talked, the easier it would be for me to hear.  One of the other members quickly interjected, "John's not deaf, he just can't talk.  You don't have to talk louder".  Forgetfulness....frustration....maybe a little of both.  Anyhow, it had to be one of the funnier situations of the week.

My biggest "downer" today had to do with people and their inability to acknowledge others.  I took an early morning bike ride.  During my little 10-mile jaunt I encountered over 25 people.  Some were biking, others walking and some jogging.  I figured today, more than any other day, I would seek some sort of reaction from people by simply waving "hi".  Want to take a guess how many either waved back or responded by saying something?  Less than 50%.  Wow........WOW.  What's with that?  I was taken aback when one biker went far beyond the "normal" connection.  "Hi, how are you?", he inquired.  Thanks, dude.  Hope my wave back was enough.

If a Duck can wave, why can't WE?

Have we become such a self indulging society we can't acknowledge others?  Are people that miserable they can't share a little happiness?  Have the stalkers of the world caused us to "bubble" ourselves?  How much effort does it take to say hello in some sort or fashion?  That's what I found frustrating about the day for me.

We can do something, you know.   A friend of mine makes it a point to smile or say hi to others when he is on the skywalk in downtown Des Moines.  It's his way of giving something to others because he feels that might be the only time that day someone showed them some acceptance ....and maybe, just maybe a little LOVE.

God can teach us alot in regards to this subject of frustration.  Let's see what he has to say.:                  

"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.  For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed.   For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God".-Romans 8:18-21

Another thought.  Continue to be a light for those around you.  There will be frustrations no doubt....but there will also be rewards.  A smile, a wave can go a long way......longer than you can ever imagine!!

On Day Seven, I'll be in 3 plus hours of meetings on the launch of the Johnston-Grimes Lutheran Church of Hope Church.  It will be quite a day not being able to talk.  Hopefully, people won't be too frustrated with my silence. 

I can see it now.....I'm going have to do alot of smiling and waving!  Just to let them know I love them. 

YGG,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment