Saturday, August 27, 2011

DAY FIVE: A WALK IN SILENCE

When I reflected on my Day Five Walk in Silence....I couldn't really come up with anything of  note to pass along.  It was pretty much an uneventful day.  Or perhaps I should say it was a day that was smooth sailing.  Nothing tragic, health was not an issue and the puppy didn't make any mess in the house.  Perhaps I should rejoice in that last one....maybe I'll look back on that as eventful, who knows!!

Regardless, we all need days like this.  But something kept churning inside me.  I  need some further explanation.  Could our days short of adversity be some of the most profitable to us?   Should we embrace the uneventful days more than ever?

During an uneventful time in Israel's history, a faithful man named Jabez prayed a simple straightforward prayer and gained the favor and blessings of God.  I've read the book.  Perhaps you have too.  But who was this man?   How did God use him to glorify his kingdom?

"Almost everyone knows of Moses, And of David, Job, or Paul—But how many of us can truly say that we can recall Jabez?  Yet, he is mentioned in the Bible As someone especially blessed.  Why was he honored by God, standing out above the rest?

Jabez was more honorable than his brothers; and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, "Because I bore him in pain.  Jabez called upon the God of Israel, saying, "Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from harm so that it might not bring me pain!"  And God granted what he asked. -1 Chronicles 4: 9-10

Almost hidden in lists and genealogies, certain ones receive God’s attention.  And for reasons only known to Him, he gives them special mention.  What an honor to be named in God’s Word!  Surely the mention of Jabez must be Meant to teach us all something.  Like a lesson for you and for me.  For every mention of men in Scriptures, of poorest servant or richest lord is there for God’s glory and purpose.  Never be ignored.  For whether spoken of in whole chapters, or in a single phrase or two,  or like Jabez, almost hidden in lists of strange names. they are all there for our attention, like precious rays of light,  teaching us more of the wisdom and truth of our God’s compassion and might.  We’ll not see our names in the Bible—But God’s Word shows us the Way, to see our names written in one of God’s Books—In the “Book of Life” someday!


A reminder to others

Several years ago an old friend of mind, Matt Buchenau, wrote a book, "Your Dreams-God's Plan".  As is custom, he began promoting his book through the Christian book circuit/conferences.  One day, he was at a conference and next to him was a booth that seemed to be getting a whole lot of attention.  For the life of him, he didn't understand.  Now mind you, Matt's book was regulation size, so to speak.....and here was this guy named Dr. Bruce Wilkinson with some little dinky book, getting all the hoopla.  Matt later found out, much to his red-face....his booth was next to the author of "Prayer of Jabez".  Matt has had to live down that story ever since....all in in good nature, of course.  But it's a constant reminder that big things do come in small packages....

So, thank you God for giving me an "uneventful" day.  It helped me reconnect with the Prayer of Jabez.  In prayer, I ask you God to, enlarge my border....have your hand with me....keep me from harm that it not bring me pain.

YGG,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment