Friday, March 2, 2012

WHEN YOU SEEK PROTECTION, TURN TO PSALM 91

A friend sent me a text yesterday morning suggesting I read Psalm 91.  Not only read it, but read it again and again and again and again. The simple homework was read one verse each day of the 16 that make up the Psalm, write a 250 word piece on each day's Psalm and fast for the two Sundays within the timeline. 

When I saw the text and the Psalm mentioned, my mind immediately reverted to the Prayer Vigil that was held for our Iowa National Guard troops last May at the State Capitol grounds in Des Moines.

As we were finishing preparation for the event, a gentleman came up to me and said "Psalm 91.  I want you to remember that verse and how important it is to our servicemen and women.  Read it and read it again".  I looked at the man's face and was amazed at the passion and sincerity he portrayed.  Here was a man clutching a scrapbook of pictures and news articles of his daughter's deployment.  He handled that scrapbook with love and care.  He was a man full of pride.  Each sentence he spoke became stronger in conviction of his daughter's duty.  You could tell he longed to see her again, but until that time he knew she was protected each and every day.  "You know how I make it through the day?  I read Psalm 91 over and ever", he said.  "Remember that"....

Would you Please just read Psalm 91?

Frankly I did remember Psalm 91 for quite some time after the Prayer Vigil, but like most things we humans do, I became distracted and soon my thoughts went astray.  In real terms, Psalm 91 had become irrelevant to me.  Yesterday, I got my remembrance.

If you haven't read Psalm 91 before, I've attached it below for you to read.  It doesn't make any difference what walk of life you're in.  There is substance for you to follow.  I hope you enjoy the read:

1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
   will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
   my God, in whom I trust.”
 3 Surely he will save you
   from the fowler’s snare
   and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his feathers,
   and under his wings you will find refuge;
   his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5 You will not fear the terror of night,
   nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
   nor the plague that destroys at midday.
7 A thousand may fall at your side,
   ten thousand at your right hand,
   but it will not come near you.
8 You will only observe with your eyes
   and see the punishment of the wicked.
 9 If you say, “The LORD is my refuge,”
   and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
   no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
   to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
   so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
   you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
 14 “Because he[b] loves me,” says the LORD, “I will rescue him;
   I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
   I will be with him in trouble,
   I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
   and show him my salvation.”


YGG,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment