Sunday, March 11, 2012

JOHN CHEATEM DOES WHITNEY HOUSTON PROUD

When I was arranging the program for the Prayer Vigil for the Iowa National Guardsmen in Afghanistan and Iraq last May, music was essential for the mood and the setting.  I turned to one of the music leaders, Matt McNeece, at Lutheran Church of Hope in West Des Moines for a suggestion.

Matt immediately offered John Cheatem's name.  Cheatem was a young singer who had wowed the Hope Church community with a number of his songs, but none was received any better than his version of "Amazing Grace".  Simply put, his rendition of the old stand-by song, could put a frog in your throat and tears in your eyes. So.....knowing what talent John had, I was humbled to say the least to have him share his gifts with our Vigil audience.  His presentation was excellent.  That's how I first got to know John.  Ever since then, I've followed young Cheatem on Facebook watching him continue his music career.  Not in Iowa these days...he's moved to Atlanta, Georgia to pour himself into a lifelong dream as a professional singer.

Who is John Cheatem?  Here's a little insight.  In June of 2010, the Des Moines Register wrote a "Why you should know Him" article.  Below is some of that report:

Why you should know him: Cheatem sings at his church, the Lutheran Church of Hope in West Des Moines.  He released his first album, "In Your Will," in February, 2010 and his first concert shortly after that packed in nearly 1,400 people to Hope. He recently won Iowa's Vocal Hero Competition.

I started singing when: I was 14, but I was horrendous until about 18.

My musical influences are: God, John Legend, Whitney Houston, Stevie Wonder, and of course, Michael Jackson. That's a given.

My personal influences are: God, my family and my friends who support me.

One of my favorite hymns to sing is: Definitely "Amazing Grace."

As you can see, "Amazing Grace" is a favorite of his.  And mine.  That won't change for me and I'm sure for him.  But.....Friday night, John posted a version of Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You".....song in falsetto.  "Ok....I did this song....I'm SCARED of this song but dang it, I did it", he said in his post. 

The reason I'm sharing this video with you is quite simple.  We've had visitors from 126 countries come to "My Father's Voice" in the past year and a half.  If I can help provide any additional  exposure for John through this blog, so be it.  If you're connecting with us from Malta, or Israel or Ireland or any of the other 123 countries, enjoy.  I should add that he has numerous others songs on You Tube.  Check it out.  And by the way, you can follow him on twitter @johncheatem. 







YGG,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment