Saturday, November 26, 2011

PV2 PETE'S JOURNEY FOR HELP-PART 5

This was as down as I 've seen PV2 Pete.  I'm not sure if it was the frustrations he's felt on the unemployment thing lately.....or if it's heightened stress syndrome now that the Holidays are here.  Whatever it was.....he appeared tired and beat down.

Looking at him, I was afraid to ask the question of his welfare because I probably already knew the answer.  But I had too.  "How are things going Pete?, I forced out.  "Not so well, sir.  Last week I had some things that were starting to look up, but then they've all hit one snag or another.  One company that I was talking to just went silent. I thought we were getting close to a job offer and then nothing.  Another one's human resource department didn't return any of my phone calls after the company president forwarded my resume to them.  And the last one said they were going to put off moving on any job openings until Spring.  So, It's not looking to rosy", he offered.

"Pete, I know how you feel", I said.  "There aren't alot of words that I can say that will change the situation overnight, but I do know that you can't give up hope.  You are a talented young man and you have some great gifts that a company would be extremely fortunate to have.  Don't focus on the negative because your time will come", I suggested. 

As I said those last words to Pete, I began to feel like a hypocrite. How could I say such a thing?  Recently I went through much the same out of work situation he had.  I remember many days and nights of questioning and over analyzing every email and phone call that I placed that didn't return any positive results.  And I was telling him to stay hopeful? 

Our conversation lasted longer than any of our others.  It seemed Pete was needing someone to talk to and I was determined to stay as long as he needed me.  There was no other place of importance at that moment, that's for sure.  Pete told me of his faith struggle.  Remember he's pretty new to this relationship thing with God.   And in his words, "I feel like God isn't anywhere near me....and if he is, he sure isn't listening or seeing how bad things are right now for me.  I mean, can't he see how much I'm hurting.  Can't he feel my pain?  I'm beginning to wonder if this God-thing is the right thing for me.  Maybe I'm just not right for it.  You know?", he asked.

"Aaaah, yeah kinda, I do", I slowly answered back.  "Pete, some times things happen overnight and other times they don't. Heck, I don't know why.  But what I do know is that God loves you and you have a purpose for your life.  Your experiences will help someone, some time.  That's part of the process, I think.  About that same time Rick Warren's book jumped into my head.  Quickly I brought forth these words.  "Pete, there is a book written by a pastor from California called the "Purpose Driven Life".  I'm not sure if you're a reader or not, but this is one great book for what you're going through. "Tell me more", Pete inquired.  "Well look, I'm not always the best at describing things, so how about we google it", I said.   Here's what we found out.

"A Book by Rick Warren.  You are not an accident.  Even before the universe was created, God had you in mind, and he planned you for his purposes. These purposes will extend far beyond the few years you will spend on earth. You were made to last forever!  Self-help books often suggest that you try to discover the meaning and purpose of your life by looking within yourself, but Rick Warren says that is the wrong place to start.  You must begin with God, your Creator, and his reasons for creating you.  You were made by God and for God, and until you understand that, life will never make sense".  "You should pick up a copy of it and see if it doesn't speak to you", I suggested.

A Big Message Book!!!

With that suggestive comment, Pete said okay, he'd check out the library for a copy and then we parted.....but  not for long.  We agreed to hook up again the first of next week.  Hopefully, I will see a renewed Pete and one with the beginning of a purpose to it all.  Because now, I've found a new purpose in my life.  Pete and Repeat.....Pete and Repeat.  Over and over again.

"Did you suffer so many things in vain, if indeed it was in vain".----Galatians 3:4

YGG,

John

            

No comments:

Post a Comment