Thursday, November 10, 2011

PV2 PETE'S JOURNEY FOR HELP-PART 3

"It was a beginning", PV2 Pete would say.  "That's as much as I can say, for now.  But it felt good.  I felt like I could talk to someone and they wouldn't freak out.....they wouldn't judge me and they wouldn't offer me some quick solution.  For the most part, he just listened, that alone was a big help".

So that's where we are today.  In Pete's words, it was the beginning.  "I was all revved up', he said.  "I had so much going on in my head and heart, I didn't know where to begin.  But somehow the words started coming out my mouth and it felt good....like some sort of healing was beginning to take place". 

"I won't kid you, I wrestled with meeting the Care Core Director.  Especially after the initial feelings I had of being passed from one person to the next.  But I was glad I did.  I have some hope anyway.  I didn't have any of that before".

For all practical purposes, PV2 Pete is at the starting line.  Remember one week ago, the possibility of him making the meeting with his church's Care Core Director didn't look all that promising.  As Pete told me time and time again over the last several weeks, "this asking for help thing is alot more complicated than it looks.  You'd think you could say to someone, life sucks right now and I need you to help me, can you?  But so often people don't know they can help.  So they say, what can I do to help you....and I can't answer that for them".

As Pete was sharing those thoughts with me, I remembered back to a time when I had a similiar experience with friends and family.  I recall a friend saying, "I wish I had a million dollars so I could give it to you.  But I don't.  I'm retired now, so I don't know many people to network with....so I can't be alot of help there either". With these memories stirring I turned to Pete and said this, "son, I know what you mean.  But when they say that give them an idea.  I'd say to them,  "keep your ears and eyes open, if that's all you can do.  Maybe someone will say something about somebody needing this or that.  It's not always about money, sometimes it's connecting with circumstances".       

Soon thereafter, PV2 Pete and I went our seperate ways.  I'm sure I had smirk on my face.  I couldn't help but feel joy for him.  You could see it in his eyes, his demeanor, his spirit.  He had begun to see some help come his way.  Little did either of us know, how soon more would come.

Hours later my cellphone rang.  It was Pete.  I could tell he had something he had to share right away.  "You won't believe this.  After talking to you I was starting to leave the church when I ran into an old high school buddy.  He was as shocked to see me as I was him...at church , that is.  Anyhow, we started talking and one thing led to another.  I told him I was looking for work, but not having much luck".  And he said this....get this, "I wish I could help, but I don't know anyone that's hiring".  I said, "that's all right, just keep your ears and eyes open.  Maybe you can help that way.  Okay...get ready for this....not ten minutes ago, he called and said he had been at his small group and told them about me.  One person said, I know someone that is looking for a good reliable, honest person.  Have him call me.  Can you believe it?  I mean, is that awesome or what"?

"Good night Pete", I said.  "Have a good dream tonight, but before you do, say a prayer of thanks".  I truly felt I didn't need to say anymore.  I ddin't say those few words to brush Pete off.  Really.....nothing more needed to be said.    

As I hung up, my thoughts turned to Pete and how possible the journey could be for him now.  I laid in bed for the longest time thinking of a million things.  Again, I had a smile on my face.  Pete has hope and he is getting help.  Now, how complicated was that?


A hand is a hand.....is a Helping Hand

I came across some words of testimony from Chuck Swindoll today as he reflected on his life and his journey.  Did he have help?  You tell me.......

"God has not only created each of us as distinct individuals, He also uses us in significant ways.  Just stop and think: Chances are you are where you are today because of the words or the writings or the personal influence of certain people.  I love to ask people how they became who they are.  When I do, they invariably speak of the influence or the encouragement of key people in their past.

I would be the first to affirm that fact.  When I look back across the landscape of my life, I am able to connect specific individuals to each crossroad and every milestone.  Some of them are people the world will never know, for they are relatively unknown to the general public.  But to me personally?  Absolutely vital.  And a few of them have remained my friends to this very day.  Each one has helped me clear a hurdle or handle a struggle, accomplish an objective or endure a trial and ultimately laugh again.  I cannot even imagine where I would be today were it not for that handful of friends who have given me a heart full of joy".   

Next Up:  PV2 Pete's Continued Journey

YGG,

John   


No comments:

Post a Comment