Thursday, March 24, 2011

A FAMILY JOURNAL: FATHER TO SON-VOLUME 12

The journal you are about to read is part of an ongoing dialogue.  The words are a conversation between "the family" of
the soldier experience.  It's Dads, Moms, Sons,  Daughters,  Relatives and Friends sharing their thoughts of a particular day and/or it could be the soldiers journal entry detailing his or hers.  I believe there are many, many people keeping a journal through the Afghan War.  If you want to share an entry of yours email it to jkmyfathersvoice@gmail.com  Your post will be strictly confidential,  no names will be used.  In addition, locations overseas will not be mentioned for security purposes except the country of origin.  Some editing may be done to further protect the journal participant.

Dear Sonpo:

I've been struggling the last several days.  I know that sounds selfish, but I have been.  I've been wrestling with what to do with my future, our family's future.  Where do we live?  Do we move to another part of the country?  All sorts of questions.  And in it all, I'm asking God to lead.  But it's hard being patient!! 

Then I think of you, son.  And I think of all the wasted energy I've exerted.  It makes me wonder what your days are like.  How the days run one into another and you have no idea if it's Thursday or Friday.  Then I watch the news and see what's going on in Libya and Yemen.....and I wonder, is this ever going to end? 

Earlier this week, my brother passed on an email that I've found myself reading every day.  It puts alot of MY struggles into perspective.  It might just do the same for you and others.  I'll post this as a narration piece.  The first part of the comment is the common occurrence In The World (ITW) and the follow up thought is about you and any Soldier (S).    


(ITW)Your   cell   phone   is   in   your   pocket.  You're looking at all the pretty girls.
(S)He patrols the streets, searching for  insurgents and terrorists.  He's told he will be held over an extra two months.

(ITW)You call your girlfriend and set a date for tonight.  
(S)He waits for the mail to see if there is a letter from home.   

(ITW)You hug and kiss your girlfriend, like you do everyday.  
(S)He holds his letter close and smells his love's perfume.  

(ITW)You roll your eyes as a baby cries.  
(S)He gets a letter with pictures of his new child and wonder if they'll ever meet.   
  

A Safe Place....In Dad's Arms

(ITW)You criticize your government, and  say that war never solves anything.
(S)He sees the innocent tortured and killed by their own people and remembers why he is fighting.
  

(ITW)You hear the jokes about the war, and make fun of men like him.  
(S)He hears the gunfire, bombs and  screams of the wounded.
  

(ITW)You see only what the media wants you to see. 
(S)He sees the broken bodies lying around him. 
  

(ITW)You are asked to do something by your parents.  You don't 
(S)He does exactly what he is told even if it puts his life in danger.  
  

(ITW)You stay at home and watch TV.  
(S)He takes whatever time he is given to call, write home, sleep and eat.  
  

(ITW)You crawl into your soft bed, with down pillows and get comfortable.  
(S)He tries to sleep but gets woken by mortars and helicopters all night long..  

I must tell you son, those words are helping with my perspective.  The next time I start complaining, I'll think of you and all the soldiers around the world who sacrifice for us minute by minute.  I pray my attitude, my thoughts and ultimately my words provide evidence that I am put on this earth to serve.....not be served. 

Philippians 2:1-4If therefore there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion, make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose. Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.

129 Days or 17 weeks to go......Praying for your Safety Son.  Praying for you Daily.

Love,

Dadpo

                                                    -30-

YGG,

John
 

No comments:

Post a Comment