Thursday, December 30, 2010

THE REST OF THE STORY: THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER

It's been amazing the number of times that I'm uncertain what to blog about next, that low and behold, something crops up right in front of my face.  Frankly, there haven't been many days that I can't think of something to write about.  There are times, though, I need something to connect the dots.  Here's an example.

For some time now, I've wanted to address the patriotism of singing and placing your hand over your heart when the Star Spangled Banner is played.  As a youngster, I always stood and showed reverence when the anthem was sung.  Rarely did I sing (I'm probably tone-deaf anyway) and placing my hand over my heart was the furthest thing from my mind.

A Visual For Francis Scott Key
When our two boys, Kristopher and Jonathan, joined the military that all changed.  I became much more aware of the surroundings that I was in when we attended their various events.  I started placing my hand over my heart and I sang, albeit, just loud enough to make myself heard, but soft enough to not draw attention to my lacking musical quality.  I guess you could say I've become more patriotic.  At least I hope I have. I have a keener sense of what our country's past, present and future is all about.  You could say I'm into the whole anthem experience now, but just don't ask me to sing it before an athletic event.

So, as I said, the idea sat there on my to-do list waiting for something that could enhance the story.  Today, of all days, it happened.  Jerry Hansen, of Le Mars, Iowa , sent out a Facebook message about the Star Spangled Banner. Hansen, is a member of the 113rd Calvary Facebook group that I recently joined.  I thank him for this message pass along.

You probably know something about the Star Bangled Banner. But there's alot to it.  I'm going to share with you a video from Dudley Retherford, senior pastor from the Shepherd of the Hills Church in Porter Ranch, California.  Retherford helps us understand what Francis Scott Key observed when he penned the song.  Here, is the rest of the story......


The next time you attend an event where the Star Spangled Banner is played, I hope you think a little longer and a little deeper about the significance of the words of the song.  Perhaps, you'll be moved to raise your hand and place it over your heart and sing.....even if it is off-key.


YGG,

John


    

No comments:

Post a Comment