Wednesday, October 27, 2010

MY BABY SHE WROTE ME A LETTER

You've gotten a chance to learn about me, my family and some of the military happenings in our lives through the first four posts on this blog.  Now, I'm going to ask you to tell me about yours.  Fair enough?

This post will have some legs to it.  It's going to have a life of itself, I feel.  Because the subject is going to be communication. We're going to start with the old fashioned form, the letter.  You remember that don't you?.  You'd take out a piece of paper...write some real syruppy thoughts, put a stamp on it, stick it in an envelope and take it to the mailbox or post office.  Oh, to yearn for yesterday.  So without further adieu, here they are!!!!....the Box Tops with their famous hit....."My Baby She Wrote Me A Letter".

Give me a ticket for an aeroplane,
Ain't got time to take a fast train.
Lonely days are gone, I'm a-goin' home,
'Cause my baby just a-wrote me a letter.

I don't care how much money I gotta spend,
Got to get back to my baby again
Lonely days are gone, I'm a-goin' home,
'Cause my baby just a-wrote me a letter.

Well, she wrote me a letter
Said she couldn't live without me no mo'.
Listen mister can't you see I got to get back
To my baby once a-mo'--anyway...

Gimme a ticket for an aeroplane,
Ain't got time to take a fast train.
Lonely days are gone, I'm a-goin' home,
'Cause my baby just a-wrote me a letter.

For those of you too young to remember, this was a hit song released in 1967.  Rolling Stone listed it #363 on a list of the top 500 songs of all-time.  You're kidding right?  No, I'm not.....and I think the biggest reason why, is that it spoke to the feelings of many people who were apart and longed to connect again.  And the letter was the way to do it.  But today there is so much available technology-wise.  There is the cellphone, texting, Twitter, Facebook and of course, Skype.  But you still can't beat the old letter.  There is still tremendous "value" in the written word.  Just how much.  Well that's what we're going to find out. 

Here's your challenge, mission or assignment, any way you want to term it.  I need you to tell me about your favorite military letter.  It can be as personal or non-personal as you want it to be. Send your information through the comment portion of the blog.  If you need me to contact you, just put your proper information for connecting with you. As I mentioned when we first started this blog, we are going to talk about the joys and the sorrows and everything in-between.  I believe this is a good place to start.  Sure, we'll dive into the other social devices at another point, but for now,  it's the Letter.  I'm going to leave this post with a song from Mark Schultz, "Letters from War".  Enjoy.

YGG,
John


No comments:

Post a Comment