Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A DOG'S LIFE.... FROM MASHA TO HACHI TO HUNTER

I'm a sucker for a good dog story.  And if you're not....... then you don't know what you're missing.  And that's about all I have to say on the subject in trying to convince you otherwise.  Unless, that is, you want to read the rest of the story.

Several days ago, I ran across a news clip of a strong little dog from across the pond.  Here's a little of what I read:

"At a hospital in southwestern Siberia, a loyal dog named Masha has appeared everyday for two years looking for her owner.

Masha's owner passed away last year after being taken to the hospital two years ago, and ever since then, the dog has shown up everyday. Staff members at the hospital reportedly feed the dog and make sure she has somewhere warm to sleep.

One family tried to adopt the dog, but Masha ran away and came back to the hospital hours later. When the owner was still alive and being treated at the hospital, Masha was his only visitor".

The waiting game has been a long one for Masha
One of the doctors from the hospital is quoted as saying: "You see her eyes, how sad they are -- it's not the usual shiny eyes for when a dog is happy. You can see this in animals in the same way as with people."

Perhaps you remember the dog, Hachi, whose story became known world-wide when the film entitled, "Hachi: A Dog's Tale". was released in 2009.   This stubborn Akita patiently waited at the train station for the return of his faithful friend....the place where he'd last seen him off.  For over nine years he waited and waited and waited.....loyally and lovingly.  Yet there was no return.  Hachi died waiting.  Those who saw the story first-hand were amazed by the tenacity the Akita exhibited.  He was like clockwork.  Arriving at the same time each day, hoping for the reunion that never came.  Today, there is a statue erected outside the train station in Shibuya, Japan.

Hachi in the patient pose he spent for over nine years
 The significance of the two tails I've shared with you is just a warm-up for another one of man's best friend.  A couple of weeks ago, I was pouring over my emails and I ran across one with a subject line that caught my eye.  The IGRR, known as the Iowa Golden Retriever Rescue Group, shares stories from time to time about dogs they've adopted.  And this one was entitled "Hunter Doron".  I opened the email and started to read.

"I just wanted to let you know that Hunter had to be put to sleep last week. He was failing badly: couldn't walk or stand without wobbling, coughing, etc.  At 12 1/2, he was entering the final parts of his life.  The vet and I had pulled him away from the brink several times, but he was really suffering recently.

I wanted you to know how much having Hunter in my life meant to me. Admittingly, I am a cat person, so Hunter and I always had issues.  They eventually lessened as he wove his way into my life and heart".

I had to stop right there.  Perhaps because we have a Golden named Mason that some day in the future will travel that same path.  That pain....the one I felt in 2007 when we put down our first Retriever, Nala, was one I didn't want to relive.  But as minutes turned to hours, I came to the realizaion I had to reach out to the owner of Hunter.  Dr. Bonne Doron.  Her story.....one of great love will be shared over the next few weeks.  I hope you come back for the next post. 

YGG,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment