Wednesday, May 23, 2012

"NO REGRETS" FOR TAYLOR SWIFT

We make far too much of celebrities.  We dress like them, act like them and in some respects become them.  Granted, I don't know what a celebrities life is like.....and I hope I never do.  All I'm saying is this.  When placed in a high pedestal situation do the right thing, would you?

I shared this post on Facebook last night about one Taylor Swift.  You know, Taylor Swift, the country singer who keeps chalking up awards for top artist almost daily.  The story follows courtesy of Fox News:

"Taylor Swift offered condolences to the family of a marine killed in action by sending flowers to his home and calling his parents.  The country singer reached out to the family of Sgt. Wade Wilson after his best friend Cpl Josh Marreel posted a YouTube video asking Swift to think of Wilson, who was a huge fan of her music.

 “This is a shout out to the one and only Taylor Swift,” Marreel said in the May 15 video. “I know you have no idea who I am, but this video isn’t about me. This is about my good buddy, Sergeant Wade D. Wilson, who was killed in action Friday, May 11, 2012 in Afghanistan. Anybody that knew Willy knew that he worshipped you. He even slept with a poster of you in between our beds in Afghanistan.

“This guy was my best friend. I know a lot of people get on here and ask celebrities to go to dances with them … All I’m asking is for you to think about him.”  Texas television station KBTX reports Swift also plans to wear his dog tags in her next video to honor the life of the fallen marine.

"THANK YOU, TAYLOR SWIFT"

The note that accompanied the flowers contained the message, “ Wade, thank you for loving my music. I won’t forget it. And I will never forget you. All my love, Taylor Swift.”  A family friend told KBTX “words cannot express what all of this has meant to our family in such a difficult time.”

Now let me take this a step farther.  Let's say Swift had brushed off the opportunity to do the "right thing".  Would she have regretted it?  In a quiet moment would she have remembered the request of a friend of  Sergeant Wade D. Wilson and thought....I should of, could of, but didn't.  We all have regrets.  Some are just bigger than others.  Here's an example:

"A great man and religious leader whom I admired often said that he had lived his entire life with no regrets. However, as I reflect on my choices, I have many regrets that trouble me. I have spent countless hours reflecting on words I said, decisions I made, or actions I took that I wish I could “un-do.”

John wrote, “If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” I realize that not all of the actions I regret are necessarily sins; rather, some are unwise choices or errors in judgment. For example, I once decided to take a job many miles from my home and family, a job that kept me from participating in the joy of birthdays and many other parts of family life. For both sins and errors, God’s message is the same: It does no good to look back and wonder "what if . . ." or "if only I . . . ."

I have learned that to lead a good life — a God-centered life — it is not important to have no regrets. When I reflect on the past but keep my eyes on the future, I can see some value even in the things I regret. Our experiences, especially the mistakes we have made, can serve to make us stronger and wiser.


3:7 Yet whatever gains I had, these I have come to regard as loss because of Christ.
3:8 More than that, I regard everything as loss because of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and I regard them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ
3:9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but one that comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God based on faith.
3:10 I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the sharing of his sufferings by becoming like him in his death,
3:11 if somehow I may attain the resurrection from the dead.
3:12 Not that I have already obtained this or have already reached the goal; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.
3:13 Beloved, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but this one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
3:14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus.
3:15 Let those of us then who are mature be of the same mind; and if you think differently about anything, this too God will reveal to you.-Philippians 3:7-15

Don't beat yourself up over your regrets.  Learn from them and follow the right course, just like Taylor Swift did.  Swift's actions are ones any of us can do......not only if you are a celebrity, but EVEN if you're a little old church mouse.

YGG,

John   

No comments:

Post a Comment