Thursday, May 17, 2012

NAVIGATING OUR STAINED WORLD


The older I get the more I try to do the right thing.  That doesn't mean I always do.  It just means I'm more aware of my actions now than ever before in my life.  Some of the reasons for following the right thinking is because I'd like to be a role model for my children.....and a bigger portion of it is because I want to be a good Christian.

I stumble for sure.....I get mad (I know it's alright to be mad some times or so my Christ Life friends would agree with me on that), I get  my feelings hurt and all due to the fact I live in this stained world of ours.  


I heard an interview this morning on ESPN of a former owner of the Philadelphia Eagles.  He had put himself into a dire situation with finances and he needed the help of several of the other investors in his group to avoid bankruptcy.  At first, they all agreed to sell their portions of the team back to him but when it came time for papers to be signed one of the friends reneged.  "If you don't sell me your stock I will be ruined", he said.  "Can't you do this for me"?  The silence from his old buddy was apparent.  He would not sell regardless of the the effect it had.  Which made me think.....nice friend.  My gosh, how callous.  And then I reflected on the times I did something of a similar notion but not so high dollar of a hit.  Yes, we live in a selfish, stained world.



Our stained world in a different manner 

WWJD.  That was a pretty popular comment years ago.  But truthfully, what would he want us to do?   The key is coming to the understanding of how we need to live our lives.  For some, those days never come about.

Today's thoughts and television interview led me to this scripture.  Hopefully it will enable you and continue to encourage me to see what God wants from us.      

1:19 You must understand this, my beloved: let everyone be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger;
1:20 for your anger does not produce God's righteousness.  1:21 Therefore rid yourselves of all sordidness and rank growth of wickedness, and welcome with meekness the implanted word that has the power to save your souls. 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not merely hearers who deceive themselves.

1:23 For if any are hearers of the word and not doers, they are like those who look at themselves in a mirror; 1:24 for they look at themselves and, on going away, immediately forget what they were like.
1:25 But those who look into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and persevere, being not hearers who forget but doers who act--they will be blessed in their doing.

1:26 If any think they are religious, and do not bridle their tongues but deceive their hearts, their religion is worthless.  1:27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.-James 1:19-27

If anything, this day was a "gift" to me.  Not only the day but what I clearly realized.  God will provide for me regardless of my situation.  All I have to do is stay on course....

YGG,

John



No comments:

Post a Comment