Tuesday, July 10, 2012

TIED TO THE AFGHANISTAN WAR FOREVER?


I thought I had put a part of the Afghan War behind me once our oldest son returned home in late July of last year.  At least I thought I had.  I'd moved onto to other things even though I stayed up with current events of the War.  But this past week has been brutal.  And it looks like it won't get better any time soon.

This was the news from the Associated Press.  The Taliban took responsibility Monday for a bomb blast in Afghanistan that killed six American troops, while other militants launched suicide attacks on two police headquarters that left 20 people dead, according to officials.  German Brig Gen. Gunter Katz, a sposeman for the U.S.-led coalition, said the six Americans were killed on Sunday when their armored vehicle struck a bomb planted in eastern Afghanistan.  He said a seventh American soldier was killed in a seperate insurgent attack in the south.  The deadly attacks on a particularly violent day showed the militants' resilience, though the target date of NATO's handover of security responsibility to local forces is less than 18 months away.

And more.....the site of a suicide attack on Sunday


The horrific news (above) of six American deaths came after Iowans received news in late June of the state's  21st casualty in Afghanistan.  U.S. Army Sgt. James “Jamie” Skalberg, Jr., 25, of Emerson was killed on June 27 in Wardak province, Afghanistan.  He died when the Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle he was driving was attacked by an improvised explosive device.  Funeral arrangements were set several days ago. Skalberg's visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday at the Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Red Oak.  The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at the church with burial to follow at the Emerson Cemetery.

Several days ago I received a message from the wife of a soldier killed in Afghanistan last year.  She mentioned she had been up late night, unable to sleep and was searching the internet for some news.  News about her husband, partner and father of her children.  She came across a blog post I had written about her husband.  She dropped me a note to thank me and show her belated appreciation.  As I write this post, I'm convinced more than ever, the young wife's note was my prompt to continue lifting up our soldiers and their families.

And to think I thought I had put this War behind me, so to speak. Right.  Now more than ever, let me repeat that one more time.....now more than ever, our soldiers need your support and love.  In the coming months they will lose air support as part of the pullback of our troops and equipment.

Let me try to put that into perspective.  Crudely that is.  It would be like a football coach telling his team that they would not be passing the ball any more, only running.  Think the opponent won't know what's up and take advantage of it.  Wouldn't it be typical of your enemy to put out an all out blitz knowing you were severely hampered in protection?  Of course they would.  Now, let's go back to War.  And we.....the mightiest army in all the world are going to let it happen.    
           
The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold-Psalm 18:2

YGG,

John


No comments:

Post a Comment