Wednesday, June 27, 2012

THE CROSSROADS OF MEDIOCRITY


Have you ever felt like you've been stuck in mediocrity?  Never being able to ride that wild crest of euphoria to the top?  Never being that person that everyone wants to be around, seldom having anything in your life be of some great value.  Well, don't feel like the Lone Ranger.  Many, many people are in the same boat.  All desiring to have some impact or making a difference in someone's life.

Rick Nielsen shared this poem with his followers today.  I'm grateful to be one of them.  The words speak so much truth about who we are and what we want to be or want to be known for.  It's titled "Mediocrity".

I'm a small and lonely man, my friend,
The world will not build a monument to me,
Somehow I've become sunken
In the mire of mediocrity.
Alone along life's torturous trail
Repeating my meaningless deeds,
Early errors now haunt me
And like a tumor on me feeds
Great things left to other men,
Great decisions not my care,
Noble steps and moments
Not my privilege to share.
Each life has its crossroads,
Be careful which you choose,
A life of greatness and happiness
Is all to easy to lose.

Ever been there?  Are you close to throwing in the towel today?  Are you at your wits end?  Have you given up?  Charles Swindoll touches on this subject in his writing, "Living Above the Level of Mediocrity".  "It is my firm conviction that those who impact and reshape the world are the ones committed to living above the level of mediocrity.  There are still too many opportunities for excellence, too much demand for disctinctiveness,, to be satisfied with just getting by.  As Isaac D'Israeli once wrote, "it is a wretched waste to be gratififed with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us".

Are the Crossroads awaiting you?


You might have needed to hear these words today.  I know I did.  Not that I'm discouraged, but the meaning they convey is challenging to me in regards to a new venture I'm about to jump headlong into.  Perhaps you are too.  Know that these words are there for you to lift you up and give you strength when you feel you've run out of resources.  The Bible verse below adds some additional zip.

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,  since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.   Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for their wrongs, and there is no favoritism".  Colossians 3:22-25


YGG,


John


No comments:

Post a Comment