Thursday, January 12, 2012

PV2 PETE'S JOURNEY FOR HELP-PART11

PV2 PETE'S JOURNEY FOR HELP IS A LOOK-SEE AT THE THOUGHTS AND HEART OF A YOUNG SOLDIER WHO RETURNED TO IOWA FROM DEPLOYMENT TO AFGHANISTAN.  HE IS FACING SOME REAL STRUGGLES INTEGRATING INTO "NORMALCY".  HIS STORY, WHILE UNIQUE, IS ONE THAT MANY OF THE 2,800 THAT DEPLOYED IN JULY OF 2010 AND RETURNED HOME THE SUMMER OF 2011 ARE EXPERIENCING IN ONE FORM OR ANOTHER.  

PV2 Pete and I agreed to meet one last time before he headed off to South Carolina.  For whatever reason, we both felt the need to connect.  More than anything it was for the "new" political animal that had been unearthed in recent weeks.  As you might recall, Pete got involved with the caucuses in Iowa a couple of weeks ago and fell head over heels.  He felt it was his duty to door knock for Rick Santorum.  And nothing was going to keep him from his appointed notion.

As we sat down at the table in Panera Bread, Pete started the conversation,  "Sir, how do you get faith?"  I looked at the young man across from me marveling at the transformation that was taking place in him.  "Pete, that might be the best question you've asked me", I shot back.  "Let's see what we can understand, but first, how about a prayer before we do?"   Pete looked at me and nodded his head in approval. 

Minutes later we began our talk.  "Pete, there is a difference between believing and having faith.  Faith is not about something. Faith is something.....it's got substance.  Belief is about something....it's a thought.  Belief is any idea you are willing to consider acting upon.  Belief is required by God.  Faith is a gift and a human ability. Faith pleases God", I began.  "Does that make sense?  If you consider that there is a God and that He is a rewarder of those that diligently seek Him, you have before you the two basic beliefs which God requires".  "Aaahhh", said Pete.  That's where I get mixed up.  I have to remember that faith and belief are two totally different things.  Belief is thinking, faith is heart.  If I keep that straight, I think I've got it".

PV2 Pete is coming to HELP....

During the next hour of conversation we talked about his upcoming travels to South Carolina.  It was as excited as I've ever seen Pete inspite of Tuesday not being the best day for his candidate, Mr. Santorum in New Hampshire.  But I think Pete will be alright no matter the outcome next week.  For one, he's going to HELP someone and two, it will be a good lesson in keeping the faith.  I recall something a good friend told me one day, that if you consider that there is a God and that He is a rewarder of those that diligently seek Him.--you have set before you the two basic beliefs which God requires. 

So, once you get faith, how do you keep it?  Here's what Solomon experienced:
"At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, "Ask what I should give you."   And Solomon said, "You have shown great and steadfast love to your servant my father David, because he walked before you in faithfulness, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart toward you; and you have kept for him this great and steadfast love, and have given him a son to sit on his throne today.
And now, O LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David, although I am only a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in.

And your servant is in the midst of the people whom you have chosen, a great people, so numerous they cannot be numbered or counted.  Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, able to discern between good and evil; for who can govern this your great people?"  It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this.   God said to him, "Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches, or for the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right.  I now do according to your word.  Indeed I give you a wise and discerning mind; no one like you has been before you and no one like you shall arise after you.-1 Kings 3:5-12

YGG,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment