Friday, September 2, 2011

RELECTIONS ON A WALK IN SILENCE

What did I learn from the past week of a Walk in Silence?  Well, interestingly enough, I learned what type of learner I am.  Or maybe it might be more accurate to say, I re-learned it.

We've all heard those testimonies where God has made himself present in a person's life through his voice.  "I was feeling at the end of my rope", one person related to me recently.  "Then, I heard God speaking to me".  He said stay quiet.  I am here and I am in control.  So, I gave it up to HIM.  Once and for all".  I can say I've never experienced anything like that, although I wouldn't mind it....that's a given.  In recent months, I've been  straining and straining my ears to hear God speak.  And straining and straining and......

You ever been there, too?   I'm at a real crucial time in my life.  My faith, my family, my occupation....the remainder of my life is flashing before me.  And I've been stuck far too long.  I've had a number of doors open and shut just as quickly.   And that's been frustrating.  It's caused me to ask all sorts of questions to the Man Upstairs.  Where do you want me Lord?  Where can I serve you in the remaining time I have on this earth?  How can I provide for my family in the coming days?  What more do you want me to give up, if indeed you do.....hasn't our family gone through enough?   Haven't my tests shown you my faithfulness?   Why are things so dang difficult?  

Foremost, I don't feel guility asking those questions.  We all have or will at one time or another.  More than anything, I am seeking a deeper relationship with My God.  And it pains me to not feel closer.  It's been day after day of Silence.  Why so?

Let me see you God, like never before!!  

Well, John.....it's because your a visual learner, I came to realize early this week.  God gave me that earful, through one little old whisper.  And he's right.  I've always been a better "learner" when I see something.  If you tell me about the plight of an African village and the dirty water they drink, I have a sense what they are going through.  But if you show me.....I'm convinced.   I can see how filthy the conditions are and my sense of compassion increases greatly.  Just by visualizing it.  Seeing it. 

So, that's been my big lesson for the week of a Walk in Silence.  I've re-learned how I learn....best.    Seems rather ridiculous one week of silence would open my eyes to that.  All along I was asking and praying to hear God.  To have him offer some direction for the questions I have today.  And he offered up the colossal comeback.  "Just see me.......can you see me?   CAN YOU SEE ME NOW"? 

"Do you not know?  Have you not heard?  The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.  He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.  He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will walk and not be faint.-Isiah 40:28-31      

Pretty nice picture, wouldn't you say?.....

YGG,

John
           

No comments:

Post a Comment